Friday 6 October 2017

VeganMoFo 2017 #6: Say cheese!



6th: Vegan Cheese is “real” cheese! – Showcase your best cheesy dish.

Once upon a time, I thought I could never go vegan because of cheese. But you know what, I managed to. And I did it in the 'dark days of vegan cheese'. Any other Australians remember when that tube of Kinglands Soy Cheese was the only vegan cheese around? I sure do. And you know what, I ate it and I didn't mind it melted or in sauces. But things have come so far. I remember the day I saw some Tofutti American Slices in a vegan shop in Sydney and I bought them and ate one in the car and I was so excited and happy... and then came Cheezly and Sheese. I know a lot of people think some of that cheese is gross, but I am pretty happy with most of them. I miss Sheese Smoked Cheddar. And then I discovered nooch and making cheesy sauces, and all was well.

Anyway, now we are in a glorious age of cheese of multitudes of products from the processed to the fancy, local vegan cheese companies, home made artisan vegan cheese. It is cheese-o-rama! Unfortunately for me, a key factor in this new age of vegan cheese seems to be coconut oil, so there are quite a few that I can't eat because they make me sick.

For this challenge, I thought I would try making this cheese that people kept raving about - Camembosh. It is a baked cashew cheese, totally coconut free. Blend, thicken on the stove, and then bake into a gooey, cheesy deliciousness. It is super easy, and really good.

Camembosh


I had a friend coming over, so I made my Camembosh and served it with some more vegan cheese and a platter of cheese friends. It was so much fun!

Cheese Party


And look at this gooey Camembosh.

Camembosh


If you are wondering what the other cheese on the plate is, I was able to pick up some locally made vegan cheeses on sale. The one on the platter is the Nutsy Smoked Paprika Cashew Cheese. I was excited when this cheese came on the market, being cashew based, but it does also have coconut oil in it. I am glad I waited for it to go on sale, because it is a little bit too much coconut oil for me, I felt a little queasy if I ate too much. It is tasty though! They also have an original and a dill and garlic flavour. The Fenn Foods Smoked Sesame Cheese is one of my favourites. The sesame is actually smoked, it is not added smoky flavours, and it is just so smooth and yummy and coconut free! Primal Kitchen is a newer brand, and I haven't tried this cashew cream cheese yet. They also have shreds and blocks.

Local Brisbane Cheeses


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post - Month of Sahara

Sahara Sleeping Dramatically


Sahara did not only confine her napping to beds and baskets, pretty much the entire house was her nap spot, even when it looked a little awkward and dramatic.

12 comments:

  1. I remember when I first went vegan I tried a soy cheese and decided I would just live without cheese! It's so true that we've come so far with vegan cheeses.
    Sahara looks so funny! She does look awkward and dramatic!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laugh a bit every time I see this photo of her. She was such a determined sleeper!

      Delete
  2. Oh cheese! My absolute favourite food both pre and post veganism. I love how many cheese options there are now, there's something for everyone. I loved the Fenn Cheese that I tried and I have bookmarked the Camembosh recipe - it looks seriously delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of Sheese at all, so I'm lucky that I turned vegan right when the cheese scene was exploding! There are so many good options now, I even bought a vegan camembert recently. It baked really well, but your homemade version looks much creamier. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found out that Sheese is coming back to Australia in the next couple of weeks, but they have changed it to be coconut oil based so I am suspicious.

      Delete
  4. The Camembosh sounds really interesting; I hadn't heard of it before. Oh my goodness, Sahara's sleeping pose is just too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like my perfect meal! I've never heard of Camembosh, but that melty picture makes me want to get acquainted ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely get to know each other. It is so easy.

      Delete
  6. So much has changed over the years. I was looking at an old issue of a vegetarian magazine and everything was SOOO hippy-dippy. Even the ads for Vega protein powder!

    I remember standing in front of the fridge at Whole Foods and just pulling out containers of "cheese" and just checking for casein as an ingredient. Now I am shocked when places still use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a brand of soy cheese here that had casein in it for years, they have finally gotten rid of it to make a vegan cheese. Though still looks like a vegan cheese from 15 years ago in texture, so I haven't tried it. Apparently it isn't great.

      Delete