Tuesday 10 November 2015

Recipe Round-Up: Chloe's Vegan Desserts

Time for some sweet treats today, with a peek into Chloe's Vegan Desserts, also by Chloe Coscarelli. This book has given me many fun things to bake for bake sales.

Raspberry Swirl Coffee Cake: I love coffee cake in the American style, because there is no coffee in it at all. And because I am a rebel, I don't eat it with coffee because I don't like coffee. But I do like cake! This one was delicious, with raspberries in the batter. I baked this in a 9 inch round tin rather than an 8 inch square one because it was a birthday cake. I had to bake it much longer than the time though, an extra 40 minutes (!) and it was still very soft.
Rating: :D

Raspberry Swirl Coffee Cake


Baked Chocolate Doughnuts: These are simple to make and look beautiful with their chocolate glaze. I made these for a bake sale, and decorated them with a variety of toppings. They do rise quite a bit in baking, so they are some quite plump doughnuts.
Rating: :)

Baked Chocolate Doughnuts


Lemon Bars: These are ooey and gooey and lemony and lovely. Though as you can see, they turned out quite soft! Sticky fingers by happy tummies.
Rating: :)
Lemon Bars


Pecan Bars: These were good, but so sticky. The caramel never really set properly for me. Not surprisingly these are very sweet, I think adding some sea salt flakes to make salted caramel ones would be good.
Rating: :)

Pecan Bars


Oatmeal Raisin Cookies: I am a big fan of oatmeal cookies and these were lovely, classic, oaty mouthfuls.
Rating: :)

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


Peanut Butter Cookies: These cookies were a bit hard to work with, because the dough is quite dry. I made the dough in advance and stored it in the fridge as she suggested, and then the dough was even drier! I had to do a lot of extra kneading with wet hands. I used an Australian tablespoon for my scoop amd gpt 25 cookies, which I needed to cook for 15 minutes.
Rating: :)

Peanut Butter Cookies


Chewy Ginger-Molasses Cookies: I LOVE ginger cookies, and these were great! It says it makes 24 two and a half inch cookies, I used an Australian tablespoon as my scoop and for 26. They spread quite a bit in the oven, and are quite soft when they come out of the oven, but then firm up to be chewy.
Rating: :D

Chewy Ginger-Molasses Cookies


Banana Bread Cobbler: Oh my gosh, this is amazing. The streusel topping is so delicious, and tops a layer of batter poured over sliced bananas. I needed to bake this for almost an hour, rather than 40 minutes, which was a long wait because it smells so good.
Rating: :D

Banana Bread Cobbler


Hot-Fudge-On-The-Bottom-Cake: This comes together very easily, and bakes up well. There is an excellent fudge sauce layer, which is thick and rich but not too sweet.
Rating: :)

Hot-Fudge-on-the-Bottom Cake


Salted Caramel Cupcakes: These cupcakes are a huge hit at bake sales, and have sometimes sold out within the first few minutes. I found that the batter makes more like 16 cupcakes rather than 12, they rise a lot! The icing also makes a huge amount, so I tend to just do a half batch, but it depends on how thick you want your caramel. Oh, and you can definitely make the icing and ice the cupcakes the day before and it will be fine, the recipe says to make it fresh, but a night in the fridge is a-OK.
Rating: :)

Salted Caramel Cupcakes


Maple-Glazed Carrot Cupcake: These are really nice carroty cupcakes, but as you can see my glaze was very runny. There was no chance of me artfully drizzing it, it just ran everywhere. Still tasted OK though! I only needed 2/3 of the glaze for all the cupcakes.
Rating: :)

Maple-Glazed Carrot Cupcake


It's A Date! Shake: I scaled this down to make one serve, which was sweet and also very good for you because of all the dates (ignore the ice cream).
Rating: :)

It's a Date! Shake


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Lego and Pikelet


Lego (up the front) and Pikelet (up the back) are two gorgeous boys that are boarding with us. We love them!

7 comments:

  1. This book looks good! I love Chloe's Kitchen, but don't have this one (yet....!). Are the pink (strawberry?) cupcakes I can see under the Salted Caramel ones from this book too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pink ones are not. I think those are some ones I made up based on the strawberry cupcakes from Joy of Vegan Baking with some marshmallow fluff centers and some cream cheese icing.

      Delete
  2. They all look amazing, but the fudge on the bottom cake looks especially amazing! Love the kitties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fudge bottomed chocolate cakes are one of my favourites. This was a good version.

      Delete
  3. Woah! Sweets! They look so good! Especially the doughnuts and salted caramel cupcakes. I think I will have dreams about those ;p
    And those boarder kitties are completely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lego and Pikelet are ridiculously cute. :)
      I loved the doughnuts because they aren't fried and frying terrifies me. The salted caramel cupcakes were actually a bit too sweet for me (I am not a caramel fan), but vegans as a whole seem to love caramel anything. :D

      Delete