Wednesday 22 April 2015

Pride and Prejudice and Potbellies

Unfortunately I am referring to our potbellies, no cute little potbellied pigs will appear in this post.

A few weeks ago I have a Pride and Prejudice viewing day with some friends. Pete had never seen P&P, and we had to remedy this because it is awesome. If you are wondering 'which Pride and Prejudice did you watch?', then I need to remind you that there is only one Pride and Prejudice worth watching. There is only one Mr Darcy, and his name is Colin Firth. The end.

Of course, six hours of viewing requires sustenance! And we decided to have a 'high tea' for lunch and then a roast dinner for dinner because it seemed like the English thing to do. We are all vegan, but Sarah is also gluten free, so this was a completely gleegan spread!

Our high tea style lunch was all cuteness and charm. Also, can you believe how adorable Sarah's tabletop is? So perfect for the theme as well!

High tea


Sorry for this blurry pic! I love tiny sandwiches. I had planned on trying my hand at gf bread, but I just ran out of time. So I bought some Orgran crackers for these cute little bites. Plate one has cream cheese, cucumber and dill on it (my favourite!) and plate two has Tartex pate, tomato and chives.

High tea


Sarah made these amazing stuffed cherry tomatoes from Great Gluten Free Vegan Eats by Allyson Kramer. Oh my gosh these were so good. I couldn't stop eating them!

High tea


I provided the sweets. Fresh grapes, strawberry muffins, stuffed dates and Table Of Plenty dark chocolate coated mini rice cakes.

High tea


The muffins are the Strawberry Shortcake Muffins, also from Great Gluten Free Vegan Eats by Allyson Kramer. These are quite dense, in the way of gf goods, but were quite lovely. And very pretty!
Rating: :)

Strawberry Shortcake Muffins


I also made the Walnut Stuffed Dates from Vegan Without Borders by Robin Robertson, except I stuffed them with cashews instead. They are dipped in chocolate, making them a pretty indulgent little treat.
Rating: :)

Chocolate Cashew Dates


Several hours later we were ready for dinner!

Roast dinner


Roast dinner


Roast dinner


Pete made the lentil and walnut loaf from Oh She Glows, which was a big deal because Pete almost never cooks. But we were able to talk him into it. ;) Sarah made the vegetable sides - I believe the leeks, carrots and asparagus are from Great Gluten Free Vegan Eats, and there were also sauteed mushrooms and roasted potatoes and pumpkin. I also made a super fast gravy to bring it all together - some nuttelex and flour made into a roux with Massel beef-style stock and a splash of soy sauce. It was all so good!

Of course after all of this we were SO FULL! And Pride and Prejudice was wonderful, of course. It was an excellent day. :)

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Sarah's kitties


Sarah is a huge cat lady, she has fostered kittens and more than one or two have become her permanent companions. This photo is pretty old, but check out these cuties playing in her kitchen. These kids are much, much, much bigger now!

3 comments:

  1. What a fun day! I've never seen that version of P&P. (For shame!) Cute little bites are the best. I need to crack open my copy of Great Gluten Free Vegan Eats. It looks like there's all kinds of good stuff in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such fun! I love that fancy spread of fancy little vegan nibbles. The strawberry muffins really are so pretty!

    Those leeks! I love me some leeks, man. It looks like Pete did an excellent job on that loaf. Can I come over for your next P&P viewing day? I will need to get over my fear of flying and my social anxieties, but how hard can that be, really?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cadry - I am SHOCKED! Stop whatever you are doing, and set the next six hours aside for watching it. Prepare to swoon over Colin Firth!!

    River - You should definitely come! A flight from the US to Australia is probably the best way to just jump on in to flying... ;)

    ReplyDelete