Tuesday 16 September 2014

Vegan MoFo 2014 #12: Robin Robertson Rocks - Party Vegan


Great news everyone! If you remember the lovely Petunia? I posted a photo of her back on my #6 MoFo post. She got a home over the weekend! I am so happy for her. Though sad for me because I will miss her and I wasn't working when she went so I didn't get to say goodbye. But she has gone to some amazing people. Yay!

So, back to food. I love menu suggestions in cookbooks, so a book that is full of gorgeous menus was always going to be on my radar. I won this book during a MoFo competition a few years ago, super fun. :) Of course I don't often have time to make full on menus, so I haven't used this book as much as I would have liked. But I will share with you the Curry For Company menu that I made for Father's Day last year.

Curry For Company


Curry For Company


Looks pretty good, doesn't it? Let's have a closer look.

Curried Pakora Puffs are amazing. They are make ahead and then baked, rather than deep fried. They taste like fancy potato puffs and are highly delicious.
Rating: :D

Curried Pakora Puffs


Mixed Vegetable Curry is full of vegetables and kidney beans in a coconut sauce. I chose a mild curry powder to make this.
Rating: :)

Mixed Vegetable Curry


Spinach-Flecked Chapati takes the meal up to something special - homemade flat bread is always a good thing! I had to add a little bit more flour to it so that I could work the dough properly.
Rating: :)

Spinach-Flecked Chapati


Mango-Mint Chutney calls for fresh mango. Of course my dad's birthday is in the middle of winter, so I used a 1kg bag of frozen mango chunks. This chutney is quite sweet, as it has quite a bit fo sugar, so you may want to decrease that a bit if that suits your tastes more. It also has ginger, golden raisins and mint. Yum.
Rating: :)

Mango-Mint Chutney


Coconut Basmati Rice with Cashews rounds out the trio of carbs the curry is served with. I made this in the rice cooker because all my stove hobs were taken up, and it worked fine.
Rating: :)

Coconut Basmati Rice with Cashews


Cardamom Rice Pudding is the dessert for this menu. I didn't make this at the same time as the rest (see below), but I made it later on. I found it a touch dry, I had to add a bit more soy milk. The pistachios are optional, but I highly recommend it!
Rating: :)

Cardamom Rice Pudding


I mentioned that I didn't make the dessert with the rest of the menu, because it was my dad's birthday so of course he wanted cake!

Spiced Applesauce Cake is not from a Robin Robertson book, it is from Chloe's Vegan Desserts (by Chloe Coscarelli), but I will sneak it in here because I served it at the same time. This cake is amazing! Plus I love anything in a bundt tin. I needed to cook this an extra 20 minutes in my bundt tin. I also only made 1/3 of the quantity of icing, which was more than enough for a not-too-sweet drizzle.
Rating: :D

Spiced Applesauce Cake


Spiced Applesauce Cake


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim


My beautiful princess Dim Sim. I love this photo of her, it is often hard for cameras to take a clear photo of a black cat's facial features.

4 comments:

  1. That's great news about Petunia! That looks like a fantastic father's day meal. I have yet to make a bundt cake, I must invest in a tin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks so delicious! I haven't made anything out of this cookbook yet, but my conclusion after reading (and watching) this post is that I HAVE to do this soon.
    (And that cake, o my yum!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, dim sim! Such a cutie. That cake looks pretty delish' too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the food looks great! Hooray for Petunia, and Dim Sim is so pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete