Saturday 5 July 2014

USA 2013 - Part 4 (Seattle)

On of my favourite things to do in Seattle is to head down to Pike Place Markets, pick up some breakfast from Cinnamon Works and then sit overlooking the waterfront.

Almond Poppyseed Muffin and Soy Chai from Cinnamon Works
Waterfront down at Pike Place Markets


Pretty gorgeous view, right? This morning I had an almond poppy seed muffin with a chai (which was very heavy on the cinnamon) before going for a wander through the markets.

Peonies at Pike Place Market
Berries at Pike Place Market


One of the best things about the markets is the gorgeous peonies. They are my very favourite flowers! I also love all the gorgeous fruit and vegetables that are available. There are a lot of other fun shops at the markets as well.

Olympic Sculpture Park
Olympic Sculpture Park


We went for a stroll along the waterfront to another of my Seattle favourites, the Olympic Sculpture Park. What is not to love about an outdoor sculpture park overlooking the water?

Plum Market
Smoked Tofu, Yam, Salad and Chipotle Mayo Sandwich with Salad bowl (kale and potato, broccoli and yam, caesar grain) at Plum Market


The park is a short walk up a hill to the Seattle Center, home of the Space Needle. And also home to Plum Pantry, part of the Plum range of restaurants in Seattle. I ordered a smoked tofu, yam, salad and chipotle mayo sandwich with a salad plate (kale and potato, broccoli and yam, and caesar grain) with a juice.

The Seattle Center is also home to the EMP and Science Fiction Museum, which is a completely awesome place.

Mr Pointy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1998) at EMP
Labyrinth (Fantasy at EMP)


We saw such goodies as the actual Mr Pointy stake from Buffy The Vampire Slayer and also Jareth's costume from Labyrinth (be still my heart!).

Apple Plum Tart at Plum Market


Then it was back to Plum for some apple plum tart! I was in Seattle for a vet conference, and I had an afternoon meeting with my research supervisor and some other people who are supporting my research project. Which gave me a good appetite for dinner at Veggie Grill! This was before the downtown location was open, so we took the bus to the South Lake Union restaurant.

Hail Kale Salad with Blackened Tempeh at Veggie Grill
Mac and Cheese at Veggie Grill
Buffalo Wings at Veggie Grill
Taquitos at Veggie Grill


I ordered the Hail Kale Salad with Tempeh (which I had heard Our Hen House raving about) and a side of Mac and Cheese. The salad certainly lived up to the hype! The mac and cheese was a bit gluggy, but had a great cheesy flavour. Ashleigh was keen to try the Buffalo Wings, which she loved. I had one and thought the texture was a bit funny but the buffalo flavour was not too spicy. I also got some Taquitos, which is when I discovered I am not a big fan of Gardein chicken, hence why I thought the texture of the wings was strange. I understand that I am in the minority about not liking Gardein chicken, so most other people would probably have enjoyed it.

2 comments:

  1. my friend lives in seattle - his hot spots to eat/shop make me drool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, you've made me super hungry! I miss Veggie Grill and your peony picture is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete