Monday 14 February 2011

Recipe Round Up: Vegan With A Vengeance

Clearing out some more photos from the archives, this time from our beloved VWAV.


Let's start off with a favourite - Brooklyn Pad Thai. This is amazing, with a lovely and tangy sauce that will keep you coming back for more. Frying the cute little tofu triangles first give them a great taste and texture. If you can get the tamarind concentrate, definitely use it over the lime juice as it gives a better flavour, I think. The recipe called for one pound of rice noodles, but I only used 200g and it was enough for three to four people.


On a cold night, the Stewed Tofu and Potatoes in Miso Gravy will blow your mind. This is one of my mother's favourites. Even though there are potatoes in it, I highly recommend taking Isa's suggestion of serving it over mashed sweet potatoes, so highly delicious. I also like to serve it with some steamed broccoli. Perfection!


I have not been pre-making awesome breakfasts as much lately, but back when I had my breakfast mojo on, I made this Asian-Style Scrambled Tofu (one of the variations on the Scrambled Tofu page). I love shiitake mushrooms, and starting the day with them makes me a happy little morning bear. I probably served it with my standard of toast with avocado, but I hope to one day make it with the Sweet Potato Has with Five-Spice and Watercress... I'll let you know when I do!


These Black-Eyed Pea and Quinoa Croquettes with Mushroom Sauce are super cute, and one of my first attempts at making croquettes. They were a bit fragile, and I had a bit of trouble getting the bread crumbs to stick, but they looked great. The mushroom sauce is delicious, though not quite as thick as I thought it would be. I took the suggestion and served it with a mound of quinoa, and also some steamed broccoli.


The stars of this plate were definitely the vegetables courtesy of VWAV. First let us talk about Maple-Mustard-Glazed Potatoes and String Beans. Make sure to use the largest dish you have to bake it in, or it will take a bit longer to cook. The sauce is awesome. The white circular stuff is a Redwoods Cheatin' Turkey Loaf, which to be honest was not great... it was kind of watery and didn't have great flavour or texture. On top of it is cranberry sauce from a jar. But back to the vegetables. Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Garlic to be exact, which are SO yummy! Try and get the smallest sprouts you can for super cuteness. Sometimes the garlic doesn't always toast in five minutes, so it may just need a little extra.


Back on the breakfast/brunch/lunch train - Mushroom Frittata with some extra mushroom sauce from the croquettes served with some Herb-Roasted Potatoes. The frittata is a variation of the Asparagus and Sun-Dried Tomato Frittata, and it is delightful. The potatoes are amazing, and so simple to make. I couldn't find teeny potatoes, so I sliced some small potatoes.


Spicy Indian Rice with Roasted Almonds is full of flavour, the toasted almonds definitely make the dish. My mother was in love with this from first bite. I served it with some Braised Cauliflower with Three-Seed Sauce, which makes for a fantastic dinner.


Black Bean, Mushroom, and Quinoa-Stuffed Peppers... I know what you are thinking... capsicum! I didn't actually eat the capsicum. I stuffed capsicums for my parents, and then I stuffed a little ramekin for myself. But one must take a photo of the capsicum! It does kind of look pretty. I served it with Mashed Potatoes with Punk Rock Chickpea Gravy. This gravy is the stuff of legends, and there was lots left over to use in all sorts of ways afterwards. So delicious! And some of that steamed broccoli as well.


On to some desserts. Gingerbread Apple Pie is very cute. I found that once it was cooked it seemed quite saucy still and it made the crust a bit soggy. But it was delicious, delicious goodness.


Peach Cobbler is another good winter warmer (I type in the middle of summer). I really like this cobbler because the topping is not super sweet like some other recipes, it is just sweet enough to go so well with the peaches. And some soy ice cream!

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post


A Prince in his basket. I have spoken about Prince before, but a while ago. Prince is one of the old folks who we look after full time at one of our clinics. He is a Singapore street cat, and now his mum is back in Singapore. Prince now lives with one of our nurses, but comes into work with her each day because he needs a fair amount of supervision and care. He is very sweet.

5 comments:

  1. I had the same overly-saucy problem with the gingerbread apple pie, but it doesn't stop me loving that cookbook. So many great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only made 1 recipe for Vegan with a Vengeance and now I am dying to make all of them! Also, I gave you the Stylish Blogger award

    http://thetolerantvegan.com/2011/02/stylish-bloggers/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe, I love your blog girlie!!! Your kitty-cat is SO cute!!! I really need to get a picture of my kitty-cat on my blog. :D Thanks for all of the recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I need to break out VWaV!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeepers! That all looks so delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete