Friday 4 February 2011

Beans for my Mum.

In this post, I am going to play catch up with special dinners I have made for my mother but haven't posted yet, so two birthdays and one mother's day. You will pretty quickly notice a theme here... my mother loves baked beans. She asks for them every single time, with not a care for my bursting desire to cook new and interesting foods. Honestly. ;)

Birthday 2009


We started with Mahogany Eggplant from Vegan Planet, which I have made several times before, it seems to be a favourite with the family.


The main event (which will look very familiar to you by the end of this post) was Old Fashioned Baked Beans and Skillet Cornbread with Smoked Chiles from Vegan Planet, salad dressed with Cumin-Cinnamon Vinaigrette from Eat Drink & Be Vegan and a roasted tomato. This is my mother's favourite baked bean recipe. The cornbread is also really good, the chipotle gives it a wonderful smoky flavour without being overpowering.


Dessert was Papaya with Vanilla Bean Syrup from a Donna Hay magazine. The papaya was meant to be peeled in long strips so you could make a pretty pile of ribbons, but it was a bit too soft for that so I ended up just cutting it up.

Mother's Day 2010


A brunch was held, as is so often the case on Mother's Day. Yet again you see some Old Fashioned Baked Beans from Vegan Planet, served alongside some amazingly delicious Pan-Fried Spuds from 1000 Vegan Recipes, some salad and some delicious Olive and Thyme Sourdough toast from Sol Breads.

Birthday 2010


By now you recognise the Old Fashioned Baked Beans from Vegan Planet. This time it is served with a mixed salad and some yummy Double-Corn Skillet Corn Bread from Veganomicon.


For dessert this time I had a free choice, so I made this yummy Mango Spice Cake from 1000 Vegan Recipes. The spice and mango blend to make a subtle but delicious taste, I really enjoyed it. The option in the book is to use some cream cheese icing, but I couldn't go past some fresh mango slices and a dusting of icing sugar.


Here it is again, cut up and served with some coconut ice cream. Delicious!

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post



Here is Possum, celebrating Mum's birthday in style wearing a gold tinsel tiara. Very manly.

(% '1000 Vegan Recipes' Blogged: 9.0%)

2 comments:

  1. Your mahogany aubergine looks very tempting. I have Vegan Planet but have yet to cook from it, think it will be soon now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, Possum is SO cute! LOVE the gold tiara! ;) It totally fits him!

    xoxo
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete