Thursday 15 October 2009

VeganMoFo 2009 #10 - Baked risotto balls.

The other day I made this...


It is Green Pea and Lemon Risotto with Roasted Red Peppers from Veganomicon. With some baked marinated tofu and some green salad. For the record, once I took this photo I gave the capsicum to someone who does not hate them!

But what to do with the leftovers? Risotto balls! I don't like things that are fried, so I decided to try some baked ones. I didn't actually write down any exact quantities, but you don't really need any. I had just under 2 cups of risotto, from memory, and I used 1 slice of Helgas wholemeal bread that I turned into breadcrumbs, and then I mixed them up. Apparently non-vegan risotto balls have eggs in them, but I didn't bother trying to replace this. Just risotto and bread crumbs. They formed into balls and held together really well. I also cut up some cubes of Smoked Cheddar Sheese and enclosed them in the centre of the balls. Then I baked them for 40 minutes at 220 degrees Celcius.


They looked so pretty! They were great and crispy on the inside. I cooked them on alfoil that I had sprayed with olive oil and they stuck quite a bit on the bottom. I had to carefully disengage them, otherwise they threatened to pull my balls apart! The bottoms were super great and crunchy though.


And the inside! Nice melty Sheese. So yummy!

Overall - delicious! And quite pretty to boot. I highly recommend it for any leftover risotto!

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post


OK, so no kitty in this particular picture. It is clear evidence of where a cat has been! You may note that my thongs here have several little holes all over them. Holes the size of certain little kitty claws. And then there is the randomly placed mouse. Hmmm.... the work of the shoe fetisher herself, a miss Dim Sim?

7 comments:

  1. yum risotto balls sound awesome. I tend to just eat my leftovers cold but I like this idea better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO - "pull my balls apart"

    hahahahaha - I'm such a juvenile ahahahahaha

    cheesey gooey centre sounds so so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That lemon and pea risotto is one of my favourite recipes from VP. It was a big hit with Andy's omni family, too. Have never made risotto balls, but love the idea of baking them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have fried risotto balls, but I think I will take your tip and bake them next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh here are the famous risotto balls that you didn't save for me :P Yum! They look as good as they sounded!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely want to try those the next time we make risotto!

    Also...my dog chewed my wedding shoes as soon as I took them off and left the room. I wanted to be mad at her, but it was all my fault. A cobbler fixed them later, so no permanent damage. :)

    ReplyDelete