Tuesday 26 May 2009

Nice girls CAN get the corner office!

According to Mistake #27 of 'Nice girls don't get the corner office: Unconscious mistakes women make that sabotage their careers' (oh yes, what a fabulous gem to have found in someone's dusty corner), unless you are Betty Crocker you shouldn't feel people at work. It makes people think of you as their nurturing mother and they will never take you seriously enough to promote you. To this I say: 'WHATEVER!'. I say that nice girls CAN have the corner office, or whatever the equivalent is. I don't actually have any offices at my work, so I am not sure what I am after. But I say that we can bake for our workmates, and be taken seriously in our jobs while being worshipped for being baking goddesses and covertly spreading vegan love. Who's with me!

With this in mind, here is a very large post of some of the delightful little morsels I have taken in to work, which are always much loved and well received. Strap yourselves in!



Jam-Print Cookies from Eat, Drink and Be Vegan by Dreena Burton. These cookies are really nice, they are made with barley and oat flour and crushed walnuts, which give them a fabulous crunchy texture with that faint afterglow of eating something a bit healthy! The recipe said it made 11-13 cookies (I find this amusing) but for me it made 18 what I consider to be regular sized cookies.


Chocolate Rice Crispy Squares from How It All Vegan by Sarah Kramer and Tanya Barnard. Oh. My. God. These are so good! They are way better than any of those horrid rice crackles you used to have as kids. These have peanut butter in them! Please make them and try them! This recipe fills a 9x13 inch pan and is meant to make 6 large and 12 small squares. To that I fall around on the ground and laugh hysterically. Maybe if you were an insane sugar fiend. I tend to cut these up into either 30 squares or 60 bite sized pieces.


Maple Walnut Brownies from How It All Vegan by Sarah Kramer and Tanya Barnard. These were nice but a little bit on the dry side. Brownies should be smooshy! I replaced the walnuts with pecans, because I much prefer them.


Simple Oatmeal Cookies from La Dolce Vegan by Sarah Kramer. Sorry for the blurry picture. These cookies were good in that they weren't super sweet, but a bit meh overall. I had to bake them for a bit extra but they were still quite soft.



Wolffie's Snickerdoodles from La Dolce Vegan by Sarah Kramer. Squeee! Another very happy result. It was the first time ever eating or making snickerdoodles, and can I say that I am sorry I have waited so long. Cookie + cinnamon sugar = gold! The recipe calls for far too much cinnamon sugar than is needed to coat the cookies, but I kept the extra for sprinkling on banana and PB on toast. Double nom.


Stephanie's White Diamond Cookies from La Dolce Vegan by Sarah Kramer. My first time using vegan white chocolate. Not that horrid Sweet William crud, but I used some rice milk stuff. And can I say, I didn't like white chocolate when I wasn't vegan and I don't like the vegan stuff any better. Why would you make something without coco powder? It shouldn't be allowed to call itself chocolate. OK,rant over. You can see that these cookies kind of were soft and droopy. Even with extra baking time. White chocolate aside, they were tasty - chocolate and PB always is. But while the people at work enjoyed them, I wished they would have kept their shape!


Banana Walnut Bars from The Garden of Vegan by Sarah Kramer and Tanya Barnard. Another super NOM recipe. These were a huge hit with everyone at work and vanished before lunchtime! Cinnamon sugar baked into the top is what makes these extra five star yummy!


Maureen's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies from The Garden of Vegan by Sarah Kramer and Tanya Barnard. I used the last of my stash of Tropical Source chocolate chips on these. And they are lovely. The recipe has the option of using either soft tofu or banana, I suggest using the banana to add an extra layer of lovely flavour. Also, it claimed to make 10-14 cookies, I got 30. Do American's like their cookies and the like REALLY big?


Anne's Molasses Cookies from The Garden of Vegan by Sarah Kramer and Tanya Barnard. These were nice, though quite cakey in texture. I love molasses, and apparently so do the kids at work. Its not just for the ponies.


Oatmeal Raisin Cookies from The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. These were really nice oaty cookies, just what you want with a glass of milk. Very comforting.


Cranberry-Walnut Oatmeal Cookies from Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson. Tasty little morsels, though I often find the dried cranberries we can get here to be a bit too sweet for me. Oh yeah, and I of course made them with pecans!


Mom's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies - Only Better from Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson. These cookies are excellent. Five stars!


Sparkled Ginger Cookies from Vegan With A Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. These cookies are absolutely fabulous. I have made them so many times, and they are easy to make and work perfectly every single time.


Glazed Orange Scones from Vegan With A Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. I made these for an afternoon tea party with my friends, which was held at work while I was on call and the left overs were left for the girls the next day. The icing is quite sweet and makes twice as much as you need, be careful adding the orange juice because it gets runny fast. Also, though dough was too sticky for me to roll into rounds and slice, so I jut plopped it down. They were yummy!


Macadamia Blondies with Caramel-Maple Topping from Vegan With A Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. These are seriously yummy, but with the price of macadamias are definitely an every now and then treat - it uses 2 1/4 cups. They are gooey and delicious, and were raved about by the fussiest person at work (to be fair, it is her issue not mine that she doesn't like any fruit or vegetables or nuts or anything not meat and starch, but still it was great to make something she could enjoy as well!).


Chewy-Chocolate-Raspberry Cookies from Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. These are great little cookies, and the hold up really well making them ideal for cookie swaps, presents and road trips. Plus, what's not to love about chocolate and raspberry?


Pistachio-Rose Water Cookies from Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. These are amazing! The people at work loved them because of their different yet highly addictive taste. You re meant to roll the cookies, flatten them and press the top into chopped pistachios but I found that my dough wasn't stiff enough for this. I mixed the pistachios into the dough instead. Fabulous stuff.

And so ends the current list. I have been baking up a storm of late so I have even more photos on my camera waiting to be uploaded, but if I kept on waiting until I had everything uploaded I would never make this post! And yes, the kids at work will be getting a new batch of cookies tomorrow! Baking for other people is fun, so to the book I say 'Nya', I am a vegan baking goddess and proud of it. You should be proud to be one too! (Plus, people totally love you... hee).

4 comments:

  1. Sweet moses, that is a definite onslaught of nom! You have lucky coworkers, miss :) And man, snickerdoodles! They're the best eh? I remember making them for some reason after first seeing Veronica Mars. Anyhow.. DELICIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sugar overload! You are so sweet to bake treats for your office. I love those snickerdoodles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHHH! I'm coming to your house!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE cookies, but I'm far too lazy to make them often.

    I'm another one who doesn't really get the white chocolate thing. I bought a white rice milk one not long ago and blech!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all sooo awesome and make me wish I worked with you.
    :)

    ReplyDelete