Monday 29 September 2008

Good samaritans and good seitan.

So, it has been a few days since my last post. Surprisingly, not all of it is due to working! The weekend was all mine, and Sunday had a wonderful trip to the farmer's market at Mount Gravatt, which included my first purchase of kale! Stay tuned to see what I do with it.

Good Samaritans

At the clinic again tonight. I just had a call from a man who drove past a beautiful fluffy white cat who had been hit by a car and was on the side of the road. He was ringing to see what he should do, and he couldn't believe that someone had just left the cat there. His obvious emotion was touching. I guess I don't know the outcome of this case, he is on the other side of town and if the cat is alive, it needs to go somewhere closer to them than here if possible. But even if the cat had passed away, he was going to take it somewhere to get it scanned for a microchip. Just in case it had an owner somewhere fretting who could be contacted. I can only hope that kitty angels will watch over the situation.

Good Seitan

My plan for Mondays was to post a week in review of my dinners for the past week. Alas, I am at the clinic tonight as another vet is on holidays, and this computer will not upload from my camera to Flickr. So I will do it tomorrow! However, I of course have the handy Vault to dig into. I need to upgrade my Flickr account because I have only uploaded photos from three cookbooks and I've already almost exceeded the monthly limit! Hmph.

So, seitan... I love seitan! Yummy, scrummy, wheat gluten meat. My first experience with seitan was bought, which was fine but quite expensive. But now I make my own. My favourite recipe is from Vegan With A Vengeance, and this is the one I make the most often. Here are some photos of VWAV recipes I made with my very first batch of home-made seitan last year. There were some great dinners!


This is Jerk Seitan with Coconut Rice and sauteed broccolini.

Cold Udon Noodles with Peanut Sauce and Seitan. This is absolutely one of the best things ever! Cold noodles with cucumber and carrot strips (I used carrots instead of red capsicum), mung beans, warm peanut sauce and hot crispy seitan. Taste sensation!

Ethiopian Seitan (with zucchini instead of green capsicum), brown rice and steamed carrots.

3 comments:

  1. That udon noodle stuff looks goooood!

    I've never come across kale and I keep reading recipes on US blogs that use it. It's on my list of things to track down and try one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm I LOVE seitan (and given my food intolerances it's one of the few things I can eat!)

    I can never find kale either, it makes me sad.

    And I adore peanut sauce! I never thought to put it on cold noodles with hot seitan....must try that with the warmer weather coming!

    I hope the kitty is okay :) I'll have my fingers crossed for him/her. It's always nice when a stranger cares about a furry one. Makes you realize that there are still people out there who care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS. I was going to email but you don't have it set up. Are you resizing your photos for flickr? I had the same problem with mine but now I resize them all to 600 by 400 pixels and I can get heaps more up before I run out of bandwidth (and they're still plenty big enough for blogging too) :) Otherwise do what I do and have a flickr AND a photobucket account :P

    ReplyDelete